Taking care of your electrical appliances does not only extend the life of your appliances but also increases their efficiency and performance. Buying expensive appliances like televisions, refrigerators, and air conditioners requires a significant investment. However, these electrical appliances should last for a significant amount of time if you take care of them.
If you want to extend the life of your electrical appliances, this article will give you some easy and effective ways to make the most of your investment. Let’s explore!
Tips to Extend the Life of Your Household Appliances
Let’s look at some tips to extend the life of your electrical appliances:
A quality dishwasher will ideally last for at least 7-12 years. It can last even longer if you take good care of it. Here are some tips to maintain the life of your dishwasher:
- Clean and check dishwasher filters regularly to avoids the chance of clogging.
- Use the hot water cycle as often as possible with your dishwasher to avoid detergent buildup.
- Use powdered detergents.
- Make sure you have properly rinsed off any food particles from your dishes before loading them into the dishwasher to avoid clogged drains and filters.
- Place the dishes into the rack gently to avoid bending or breaking the rack.
Who does not want clean clothes? Your washing machine is one of the most important appliances in your home. While the frequency of use varies based on the size of your family and the capacity of your machine, it’s essential to take care of your machine. Use the following tips to ensure the longest lifespan of your washing machine:
- Make sure you check all pockets before placing clothes in the machine to make sure they are free of any coins, makeup, and any hard, metal objects that can destroy the washing machine drums or clog the drains.
- Avoid putting anything on top of the machine.
- Many washing machines can handle large loads of clothes, but you want to ensure you don’t overload your machine. Avoid stuffing your machine with a lot of heavy items at once. Using lighter loads can also help you save on electricity.
- Using the right detergent is also essential. If you have a HE machine, make sure to get detergent with the HE symbol.
- Talk to your local plumber if you have hard water for steps on reducing the impact on your machines.
- Check and clean the filters regularly.
Refrigerators consume a lot of energy because they are typically used on a daily basis. Unlike other appliances, they are don’t require a significant amount of energy. However, due to extensive use, they require routine care. Use these tips to extend the life of your fridge:
- Since your refrigerator needs to work harder in higher temperatures, try keeping it away from heat sources as much as possible.
- Keep it clean and monitor its temperature regularly.
- Clean the condenser tubes once a year. This can increase their life expectancy up to 15-20 years.
- Clean the inner compartments of the refrigerator to free them of food particles and dust.
- Maintain some space between walls and refrigerator to ensure appropriate functioning.
A microwave oven can last for 15-20 years. But to maximize the use, it is a good practice to:
- Keep it clean and remove food and spills.
- Clean the inside racks, tray, and outer compartment regularly.
- Use microwave-friendly food containers.
- Do not start the appliance when it is empty.
- Turn off the main switch when not in use.
- Keep all vents open and clear from obstructions.
Some Other Ways to Extend the Life of Your Household Appliances
- Clean each unit once a month.
- Make sure you’re not overloading or overworking your appliances.
- For your home appliances, use a programmed timer.
- Make sure you’re using the proper soaps and detergents recommended by the manufacturer.
- Make sure you schedule routine maintenance and servicing.
- Use self-cleaning options sparingly.
If you need a reliable Riverside electrician, we’re here to help!